Death is something that is expected or unexpected. The purpose of this webpage is to give you information on how to handle it when it does occur.
Where Death May Occur
1. Hospice Facility, Nursing Home, or Hospital - If the death occurred at a hospice facility, nursing home, or hospital, the medical team would be aware or trained on the facility’s procedures. They will be the first point of contact and can provide assistance or guidance on what your next step will be.
2. At Home (with Hospice on Location) - If the death occurred at home and hospice is on location, the hospice staff will be your first point of contact and will provide assistance or guidance on what your next step will be.
3. At Home/Residence or Work (without Hospice on Location)- If a death occurs at home, residence or at work without hospice at the location, immediately call 911. They will report to your home, residence, or place of work and will guide you through the initial process. Please note: If the deceased is not under the present care of a doctor, the medical examiner may/will have to conduct an investigation. According to Florida Statute 406.11, the medical examiner has jurisdiction over the following:
A. When any person dies in the state:
B. When a dead body is brought into the state without proper medical certification.C. When a body is to be cremated, dissected, or buried at sea.
- Of criminal violence.
- By accident.
- By suicide.
- Suddenly, when in apparent good health.
- Unattended by a practicing physician or other recognized practitioner.
- In any prison or penal institution.
- In police custody.
- In any suspicious or unusual circumstance.
- By criminal abortion.
- By poison.
- By disease constituting a threat to public health.
- By disease, injury, or toxic agent resulting from employment.
4. If a Death Occurs Out of the State
If a death occurs out of state, remember to contact us before contacting an out of state funeral home. We will make preparations to get your loved one back home. This will also assist with keeping the cost down as much as possible.
If you still have questions, please do not hesitate to call us. We will help guide you through this difficult time step by step. Contact us any time of day or night at 321-363-1592 and we will be glad to assist you.